Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

San Francisco: The Golden Gate Bridge Part 3...

The View From Above And The Walk Back

After making my way back up to Vista Point, I began the walk up the hill to Ridge Battery to take in the view from above the bridge. By this time, I was starting to feel it in the knees so I stuck my thumb out to hitch a ride to the summit. To my surprise, a gentleman from North Carolina with his grandson to whom I spoke to on the bridge about being careful about some oncoming bikes, stopped and offered me a ride. He claimed he had never picked up a hitchhiker in his life and I told him I had never hitchhiked before, but because I warned his grandson back on the bridge earlier in the day, he figured he owed me one. I expressed my appreciation and had a nice conversation as we drove past the hill I was initially heading for, to some overlooks further up the road, that I would never have been able to walk to. After taking a few photos at those places he dropped me off at my original destination with me felling a little more refreshed. Thanks, again for taking chance on giving a ride to a stranger. Those who know me are well aware of the risk you took.

The first few shots are from those more distant overlooks and the rest are taken from right above the bridge and on my walk back down the hill and back across the bridge.




Here's one looking towards the Pacific Ocean...


The next batch are from the ridge right next to the bridge...




Would you pick this guy up if you saw him hitchhiking???


Here are some with the remnants of Ridge Battery...



Now for the walk back down to Vista Point and the bridge below...


The rest were taken an my stroll back to the San Francisco side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Some are similar to previous pictures but the weather has cleared a bit and it was now possible to see the skyline of the city as compared to the foggy conditions earlier in the morning when I first set out.

This first one shows the oncoming bicyclists and the potential disaster waiting to happen if you start daydreaming on the bridge...


Things were starting to look up on the way back...


A couple of the distant skyline. Remember, I'm using a cell phone camera folks...



A quick look back before heading to Fisherman's Wharf for some seafood, beer and ice cream...



After taking a bus for a few miles to the pier to eat and relax, I hopped (hobbled) on the Powell-Mason cable car for the trip back to the hotel...



The St. Francis Hotel...

No comments:

Post a Comment