Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

San Francisco: The Golden Gate Bridge Part 2...

Down Under

After crossing the bridge I attempted to make my way down to view it from Fort Baker and Battery Yates. Now, there is an easy was to access Fort Baker from Vista Point by a trail and road that goes under the highway. But, for some reason, I went the wrong way and added a good twenty minutes to my walk to the fort. By this time the sun was out and the temperature on the Marin Headlands side of the bridge seemed to me to be at least 25-30 degrees warmer than the conditions I started out on the other side of the bridge.

Again, to make a long story short, I got to the bottom of the hill and entered Fort Baker as seen below...


The views of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco are pretty unique. Here are a few. They seem to be similar but by walking a ten or twenty yards you get different perspectives. I'm no Ansel Adams but you get the idea...






Here are a few of Battery Gates, the bridge and San Francisco from the heights the fortress is built upon...





On the cliff edge in front of Battery Yates was what appeared to be a floral memorial to someone. I hope they didn't jump...


I like this one best...


Taken as I made my way back up to Vista Point the correct way...



The walk back was steep but a good half of a mile or more shorter than my way in. Next the climb (and ride) up to Ridge Battery overlooking the bridge and the bay and beyond...



No comments:

Post a Comment