Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wilco's Solid Sound Festival II and the Rollins-Mackenzie Expedition II...



Just got back from a whirlwind five days of music and Civil War battlefields. First of all, the two Wilco performances at their annual music festival in North Adams, Mass. were beyond description by a mere mortal like myself. Despite the rain on Friday night and the downpours throughout the day on Saturday, Solid Sound II was another success. Wilco rocked both nights and premiered several songs from their upcoming album. Autumn Defense, the Wilco side project for Pat Sansone and John Stirratt, were the best other band at the festival in my opinion. The crowd seemed to be smaller this year but not by much. I'm sure the weather had something to do with it. It was great to see my lifelong friend Dave and his wife at the festival along with my brother and sister-in-law who are all now new disciples of Wilco. If you see them once live, you will be hooked forever. Took in the comics on Saturday afternoon at the Hunter Center and wasn't that blown over by them. A few of the rhythm and blues bands were ok but I didn't see many of the other musical acts due to the rain. I'm sure they will be doing it again next year and I am looking forward to it. The weather can't be any worse, right?

In regards to the Rollins-Mackenzie Expedition Part II, we left early Monday morning just hours after I returned home from the festival to take in a few Civil War battlefields with my co-worker and excellent history teacher Kevin Mackenzie. Our goal was to see as much as possible in three days. Well, we saw as much as possible in two days, including Gettysburg, Antietam, Harper's Ferry, Chancellorsville, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Petersburg and Appomattox. Yeah, it seems like an impossible task but we did it in two days and got back to Connecticut early Wednesday morning. Having a relative who lives outside of DC helps by providing a place to crash for a night. Also, the fact I've been to these places many times helps to cut through the stuff you don't really have to see to get the full historical impact of these important sites in American history. I'll post some photos in the upcoming days after Kevin sends them along to me. I have no photos of Solid Sound this year. I'll post some links to photos, reviews and videos by others instead.

Here are some links to the festival to enjoy:

Solid Sound Festival 2011
June 25-26, 2011

http://www.stateofmindmusic.com/entry/1284/Solid-Sound-Festival-2011/

From tinnitus photography from Via Chicago forum....


http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/v21/p750905484-4.jpg


http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/v20/p750802889-4.jpg


http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/v21/p15096531-4.jpg

Setlists from "I got your setlist right here…"

http://setlistguy.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/wilco-%E2%80%94-62411-mass-moca-north-adams-ma/

http://setlistguy.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/wilco-%E2%80%94-62511-mass-moca-north-adams-ma/

No comments:

Post a Comment