Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

History stuff: Where World War II began...

Discovering an Historic Radio Station

by David Jennings


During a European trip this summer that included visiting my wife's home country of Poland, I made a wonderful and historic radio discovery.

Prior to our trip a friend told me about an historical wooden transmitting tower built in 1935 that still exists in Poland. He discovered it while taking a virtual tour of Poland with Google Earth. When I looked at it I realized it is located in the city where we would attend our nephew's wedding. This is something I must see! It turned out to be much more than just a tower.

The tower is located in Gliwice, Poland (pronounced Glee Veet Say). It is about 360 ft. tall made of impregnated Larch wood and claimed to be the tallest wooden structure in the world. On July 31st after a stay in Krakow, our relatives Bronislaw and Tadeusz Korniak drove us to Gliwice. During the ride, I asked if they knew about the tower. Of course they did. It is a famous place. In fact we
will go there today they insisted. My relatives told me it was being made into a museum to commemorate a great historic event in 1939. The grand opening was set for August 31, 2009...

On the night of August 31, 1939 a secret German operation was carried out at the station. Under Himmler's orders, a few armed SS men dressed as civilians stormed the station posing as Polish insurgents. The plan was to overtake the studio and transmit in Polish. This was to be a pretext to attack Poland for this provocation...


Read more:
http://radionational.org/discovering_an_historic_radio_st.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment